SSI Open Water Diver Course
The Open Water Course is leading SCUBA Course. This certification is recognised world-wide and upon completion, you will be certified to dive to a maximum depth of 18metres with a ‘buddy’. You will learn how to dive, alongside your instructor, who will teach you the everything from equipment care to buoyancy control and much much more! Dive in with us and come explore our magical underwater world!
- Based in Pulau Tioman since 1993, we are one of the longest standing dive centres on the island. With a great reputation, due to our exceptional levels of safety and high standards.
- We are based on a stunning tropical island that offers a relaxing and friendly environment.
- Our dive sites offer stunning wildlife and scenery, whilst at the same time being perfect for learner divers due to our sheltered and shallow waters.
- We do not cut corners, and pride ourselves on delivering high quality instruction, to ensure that you, as a student diver, become a safe and competent diver.
- A swim test involving a 10-minute float and a 200metre swim or 300metre snorkel.
- 5 x chapters of theory, watching videos and completing short quizzes and a final exam.
- 5 x ‘confined water sessions’
- 4 x Open Water Dives to a maximum depth of 18metres.
- You must be confident in the water, and able to complete: both a 10 minute float and 200metre swim (or 300metre snorkel) without floatation devices or touching the bottom.
- You will need to complete a short medical questionnaire to ensure you are fit to dive – ask us for more details. Please Note: It is best to check that this is all OK before arriving on Tioman Island.
- This is a great option for people who have never tried diving before, but want to gain a certification to dive around the world.
- The full Open Water Course takes 4 full days.
- If you do not have 4 full days on the island, you could consider completing the theory online before arriving on the island. – see mySSI App section for more details. If you complete the theory beforehand, then the practical sessions with TDC will take 3 full days.
The price includes everything you need for your dive course:
- Your dive equipment
- Access to the learning material through the MySSI app
- Your skills sessions in shallow water
- Your Open Water Training Dives
- A certificate as well as a certification e-card upon successful completion of the course
- Dive insurance for the duration of the course
- Your swim suit
- A towel
- A sense of adventure
- We usually start at 8:30am on the first day and finish in the mid-afternoon on the final day of the course.
- The length of each day will depend on how comfortable you are in the water, and how well you are doing with the theory and practical sessions. Usually we aim to finish between 4:30 – 5:30pm.
- We break for lunch for about an hour each day.
- You must be minimum 10 yrs old to complete this course. SSI Junior Open Water Diver (10 – 14 yrs) may dive to a maximum depth of 12 metres.
- Under 18s must have a parent of guardian sign all relevant paperwork
- If you only have 3 full days in Tioman, you may like to complete the theory online before arriving at TDC. See more details under the mySSI App tab.
- You may like to complete a ‘referral’ by another dive centre. You can start your course at a dive centre close to home, and finish the remaining portions when you come to us, here at TDC. Please Note: a referral is valid for 1 year only.
- Payments can be made in cash (MYR) or by card when you are here on the island. When booking the course, a deposit of 50% is required in advance via bank transfer.
Contact Tioman Dive Centre today
Interested in the SSI Open Water Course?Enquire about this course